Building Permits and Inspections

The City’s Building Inspection Department is responsible for issuing permits, conducting inspections, enforcing the zoning code, and providing staff support to the City Plan Commission. The goal of the Department is to provide professional and cost-effective inspection services that will ensure that our homes and businesses are constructed correctly and with quality materials in order to preserve public safety and neighborhood property values. The City contracts with JK Inspections to provide Building Inspection services.  There is no expense to the City for building inspection services because the fee paid to the firm is 80 percent of the revenues collected. The City pays them no other fee and keeps the remaining 20 percent of the revenues.

A building permit is needed for a variety of building projects. Some examples of projects that would need a building permit are:
  • Building an addition on your house
  • Building a garage
  • Building a deck
  • New wiring
  • Installing a new furnace or A/C
  • Remodeling your house
  • Installing new siding
  • Installing new windows in your house
  • New plumbing
  • Changing the pitch of your roof

The City recently and unexpectedly lost its building inspector and is in the process of securing a new one.  Building permits are on hold until that is finalized.  This page will be updated when a new inspector is secured.

Please check with the building inspector or City Hall if you are unsure whether you need a building permit. Building permits must be obtained before starting your project or the fees will be doubled.

*Click here for a building permit application. 

City of Clintonville | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2020 Intrado Corporation.