History

The City of Clintonville was first settled in March of 1855 by Norman and Lydia Clinton of Menasha.  Clinton and his wife were both originally from Vermont, born in 1796 and 1800 respectively.  Clinton, who was a carpenter by trade, established a sawmill on the 1200 acres of land he owned.  The sawmill burned down within a few years but was later rebuilt by one of his sons, U.P. Clinton.  In 1878, the railroad reached Clintonville and Clinton donated land for the first depot.  In 1879, Clintonville was incorporated as a village and, just 8 years later, as a City in 1887.  Clinton passed away in 1910, and, by that time, the population had reached 1,747.

A few Firsts:
The first school house was built in 1857 with Jennie Marsh as the teacher.
The first post office was established in 1858, with U.P. Clinton as the postmaster. 
The first store was opened in 1858 by U.P. Clinton.
The first lawsuit was in 1852 heard by Justice of the Peace C. W. Bennett. 
The first Mayor was John Finney who was elected to that position in 1887.
The first water and electric light plant was owned by the City and erected in 1903.
The first church was built in 1875.




 
City of Clintonville | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2018 West Corporation.